Wednesday 5 November 2014

Monster Ultra 200 Race Report


Dedicated to my family, Eileen, my Scorpion friends who  took time off to support me for this race. They most certainly had seen the worst state that I was in and yet they not only were patient with me, but stayed by my side all the way to the finish line. Also dedicated to the Avengers, for tanking the project preparations  during the weekend that I was racing and still find time to come down and support me.

The Monster Ultra is definitely the most challenging race that I had attempted to date. From as long as I can remember, I never once had doubt of myself in completing a race. Not even for my first Ultra, the Sundown 100km.  I find 100km races still rather manageable as coming from a cross country background, having clocked weekly mileages of 100-120km before, the mental edge knowing that you ran 100km in total mileage for consecutive days really gives you the extra boost in confidence to finish the race. Nevertheless they are not to be underestimated. However, I had not in my life, attempted to up my mileage to 200km a week, and I am not even close to 160km! 200km to me, was a rather huge step into the world of the unknown. Doubt were most certainly present in the days leading up to the race.

Training progress

The realization of insufficient conditioning only struck me in September, after I had done the Craze Nut 101km as the experience was not a really great one ( I ran alone, without support because I did not sign up for the race).  Thankfully, it was still had 5 weeks out and I still had sufficient time to train up adequately for the race. Thus I set out to ramp up my mileage in order to further condition my body to the brutality of the 200km. The punishment endured at Craze Nut 101km was a sharp reminder as to how much more I would have to improve in order to tackle the 200km. Thus, I planned to do as many 30km  runs as possible after the Craze Ultra leading up to the Monster Ultra, with another speed session in the middle of the week and the rest of the days would be adopting crossfit as a form of strength and conditioning to transform my body into a 200km killer machine.
Everything was progressing well. I was improving rather quickly, feeling stronger after each training session. However, after my 5th 30K run, I came down with flu 2.5 weeks out from race day, which was probably, as my doctored told me, due to the haze. I was desperate to recover quickly and continue training, eager to get in some last minute miles to reassure myself that I was conditioned enough to tackle the 200km, however, having ran competitively since 13, I knew, as much as I hate to say, it is better to go into the race slightly undertrained, in tip top health to struggle through the race than to train through an illness and entering the race sick.

Finally, 3-4 days before the event I was fully recovered. I went for a slow 10km jog 2 days before the race to get the feel of race pace on the day itself and discovered that there was a tingling sensation in my ITB. It appears that my ITBs were rather tight and thus contributing to this sensation. Being worried, I did some foam rolling, stretching and avoided running till the race itself. Although the events leading up to the race was not a smooth sailing one, I remained optimistic, convincing that should I make it to the start line healthy and injury free, I would push through the 200km.

Logistics

Conditioning the body alone is not enough. To tackle a race this long will require extensive support from your crew, to provide you with constant supplies of your needs, be it food, drinks, medical. One week out from the race I actually met up with my friends together with my family to discuss the crew support plan. In the end, it was agreed that my friends will take 12hrs night shift, whereas my parents, together with my girlfriend, will take the day shift. We planned down to the details, as to where could be the possible stop points, what I would like to eat at each checkpoint, my possible needs, my targets for the race, etc.. the meeting took about 3 hours before we are finally done with a comprehensive support plan. In essence, my plan was to stick to a diet of bread and isotonic drinks, taking them at 
10km intervals with seeing my crew every 5km.

There were lots of stuff to be bought! Medical supplies such as painkillers, cold and hot spray, bandages, plasters, antiseptic, etc. Food, bottled water for my hydration bag, isotonic drinks, ice box, spare clothes, spare shoes, windbreaker.. The list is endless. By the time I layout everything for item check the day before the race, I felt like I was going out for a camping trip instead of a run!

RACE DAY

So D-day finally came. I was still rushing my project in the morning and early afternoon, eager to get as much done as I know I will have the weekends burnt. During the late afternoon at around 4pm, I tried to get in a nap but I was too excited to do so. All I was thinking about is the race and I cant wait to get to the end of it! I was so excited that I don’t even have the appetite to eat much of my dinner that evening.

Finally I was at Macritchie Reservoir, the start point and end point of the race. Being an hour early, I went to collect my race bibs and sectional maps provided for the race. The sectional maps were maps which showed 10km of the route at a time, B6 size. I took my time to pin my race bibs to my hydration bag and my running singlet, applied some Vaseline on sensitive areas and waited at the carpark eagerly for the race to start. It was a very humid night – I was already sweating even before I started running!

At around 845pm the race organizer, Ben Swee, gave us a safety brief and explained how the support by the organizer will be done. It turns out that there will be only one vehicle, with food and water supplies, roving along the race routes. In addition, one ambulance will also be providing roving medical support. I felt that I was lucky to have brought along my crew if not I would have to go through the hassle of buying food as I highly doubt I will have frequent encounter with the supply vehicle. After the brief ended the race officials gathered us at the start line and I felt the surge of adrenaline once again. As I was getting ready to run out of the start line, one of the race officials issued a sparkler to every participant, stating that after the last sparkler is simmered the race will begin. Halfway through the igniting of sparklers I was getting restless and impatient. WHY CANT THEY JUST START ALREADY?! It felt like eternity before the last sparkler simmered and the race director flagged us off. 0km down, 200km to go!!!!!

The Race

0-10km

Once out of the starting line, I felt an abundance of energy within me. I felt light and great. Perhaps  the tingling sensation of the ITB, as well as the illness before that which forced me to take rest, allowed me to fully recover before attempting this race which thus explains the great feeling – starting the race fresh. I was on pace, and I felt like I could go on forever. I was supported by Hong Yew and Hazel, who provided me with ice cold 100 plus at the 5km mark as well as some food at the 10km mark. I was feeling great, however, I held back, knowing that the suffering would kick in later on in the race if I let my adrenaline take control of me.

10-20km mark

10km mark was outside Sembawang Air Base, from there I ran to the next checkpoint which is outside Kranji MRT Station. This was my first time running past woodlands MRT. As I ran past the MRT station and residential areas, the surroundings became more quiet and peaceful. I briefly enjoyed this short moment of solitude. Sometimes running alone have its pleasures too. Hong Yew and Hazel continued to provide me with leap and bound support from his car and I am still consistently getting in fluids and food. Everything is going well so far.

20-30km

From Turf Club, the next 10km will be a rather boring one as we will travel to the industrial areas in Lim Chu Kang, then Kranji Dam, to Neo Tiew Road then to the long stretch of road at Lim Chu Kang. I was running towards Kranji Dam when Hong Yew’s car drove past me and out comes my first pacer of the race -  AKUJK aka Jian Kai AKA the beast AKA the hulk. I was glad that he joined me at this stage of the race as it would be rather dangerous to run alone along this stretch – we are running along the roads with no pavement at the sides so it is crucial to have a buddy to watch out for each other. In addition, dogs are present in those areas and the last thing I want is to be attacked by one so early in the race. I felt that by having a buddy will deter the dogs from attacking us. I was still going strong along this stretch of road. No doubt it is boring, however JK kept me well distracted with his unusual pacing method - His pace is not consistent, constant change in speed throughout the time he was pacing me – Sometimes he sprints forward, sometimes he does a brisk walk, sometimes he did some cadence work,etc..This thus is able to distract me and thus the boredom wasn’t as bad as it would be. At certain point of time Hong Yew will be driving directly behind us, to act as a warning to incoming vehicles. At 2-3am though it is a peaceful and quiet place to run at but this area is also thus prone to reckless speeding drivers.


30 – 40km

This is the stretch that stretches across the long stretch of Lim Chu Kang Road, past Jalan Bahar and then down towards Boon Lay way. When I reach Lim Chu Kang Road, I began to run in a ‘zoned’ out state. I was a rather nice feeling. Basically I was stoning and running all the way. Everything just happened because of muscle memory. Hong Yew drove behind JK and I and provided me with water and food regularly. JK was carrying my water bag so whenever I needed water I just have to reach out and drink from the tube. We made it look like JK was breastfeeding me initially however, we got the hang of it rather quickly and I could drink on the run just after a few tries. This stages of the race everything still felt great, no aches and no pain in my ITB. A really good sign.

40-50KM

When we reached the 40km mark, which was a Shell station next to Boon Lay Way, the pacer duty passed on to ALBERT. I was really glad to see Albert, now that I have an additional friend joining the crew, my mood lightened up from running the mundane stretch along Lim Chu Kang Road. Here on we will run to West Coast Park’s Macdonalds where we will link up with the rest of the crew. The route was seriously boring as it is now 3-4am. There is very little cars on the road and all you can see are long neverending stretches of roads. Along the way I felt a drop of water or two then I was like “Dammmmmmnnnnnnnnn..” It was starting to drizzle. I was really worried that it will turn into a torrential rainfall and that would mean I have to run in the cold. Not exactly keen on that. Thankfully, it was only a passing drizzle. I was also starting to get a little sleepy and things are starting to get a little harder mentally. Physically I was still alright. When Bert and I reached the Macdonalds I lay down on the ground, to relieve some stress on my back, which was aching a little (I don’t know why). Shortly later the rest of the crew came and Hong Yew, JK and Albert all worked together to give me a massage. It FELT SOO GOOD AHAHAHA. I was also a little sleepy by then. Took in some fluids, had some bread again changed my socks and lay down for awhile more. After half hour of rest, I proceeded on with the race.

50-70km

This 20km brings me from West Coast, up to Clementi, to Bukit Batok, Bukit Timah and all the way to Toh Tuck Avenue. It is close to sunrise and by this time I was already 15 minutes off my pace. My legs were starting to ache a little and I was doing slightly more of a run-walk pattern to conserve strength. At the 60km mark I was really hoping for the sun to rise as I was feeling very sleepy from the earlier portion of this stage. That feeling reminded me of outfield days in NS when we didn’t get to sleep for a few nights. At 70km we met up with Hong Yew and the crew. I was still feeling rather sleepy despite it already being day time. We refilled my waterbag and I ate somemore of my blueberry bread, which is starting to get a little boring as I had been eating that for quite a while. Furthermore, when taken with liquid, the bread will cause bloating in the stomach and I had been running with a weird feeling in the stomach for the past 30km.

70km – 80km

The last 10km that my friends will crew me. After that the duties will be handed over to my family and there will be no pacers for the next 20km till 100km. I felt re-energized, knowing that I will be able to see Eileen and my parents and this 10km felt strong. HOWEVER, Bert and I nearly got lost as we took a wrong turn at Dairy Farm Road. Instead of turning to Hillview Drive we continue to head down Upper Bukit Timah Road. Luckily I sensed something was wrong and checked the map and fortunately, we were at a Junction whereby we just had to make a right turn and head all the way down to the other side of the road then we will be back on track again. When we finally reached Blackmore Drive and linked up with my parents and Eileen my friends left and I was running alone again.


80-100km

After 9 hours of company with a pacer, it felt incomplete to run without one. When I resumed running after a short rest at Blackmore Drive suddenly I felt someone turned off the Master Switch within me. I could not run. I began to walk more and then when I reached Holland Road, I realized I was hungry. Fortunately my mum cooked some porridge and I took abit of it. Though I was hungry, I could not eat much I just didn’t know why. But it feels good to eat something different, after a 12hr of diet on bread and Isotonic. It began to drizzle again. After eating the porridge I felt better and could continue to run alittle again. However, the issue with porridge is that it is easily digestible and at 85K I was hungry again and had to eat again. This carried on every 5km till the 100km mark.
When I reached the 92KM mark, Eileen joined me to runJ Felt so much better to have someone running with you. We reached the bottom of Mount Faber and I decided to walk up to conserve energy since the climb up was actually very long and steep. It had been a long time since we last gone up Mount Faber together and I totally enjoyed the walk up with her. Glad that I was able to “Pak-tor” and run a race at the same time HEHE! It still took q abit of effort to walk up Mount Faber, given that I had already ran 90+ km. There we linked up with my parents. I had a little more porridge and enjoyed the breeze for a moment. That day was rather hazy and everything that I saw from the top of Mount Faber was a blur. The tranquility of the surrounding makes me feel much better. Soon after, we head down Mount Faber and linked up with Kok at Telok Blangah MRT Station. When I saw Kok I was…too tired to be happy. The weather is getting hot by the minute. The three of us ran all the way to Labrador MRT, through Labrador Park and towards Keppel Bay. It was very humid. There was no breeze at all and I was suffering rather badly. Struggled through Keppel Bay, didn’t have the energy to appreciate the scenery and FINALLY hit the halfway mark at 2pm. I rested at the carpark opposite Seah Im food centre. I tried to get some shut eye but because the weather was soo damn hot, I just couldn’t. Took a 45 minutes break, changed my shoes because they were a little wet from perspiration dripping down my legs. The feeling was so good. When you are uncomfortable like that every single thing that makes you feel slightly better youll appreciate it. I even changed my top. The warm top boosted my spirits and I felt better immediately after changing into dry apparels. And yes I was feeling a little cold despite the hot afternoon. Weird.
100-120km

I felt much better after changing into dry shoes and clothes and after some porridge and a short rest, I was hitting the road again, this time at q a good pace. I managed to sustain it till MBS then I crashed again. This time round, it was a rather huge crash. I managed to struggle till Marina Barrage where my parents linked up with me again. I had some porridge but when I left again. I could not run. I just could not I don’t know why. Maybe it is mental? Maybe it is the diet?? (more on that later) or is it my training was inadequate? I am not sure. I was in despair. I could only do what I can. Walk. And walk it is. All th way from Marina Barrage all the way to Tanjong Rhu. There, I saw a fellow competitor and IMMEDIATELY, I felt much better. Now that I am typing this report, maybe it is really all in the mind. But I was able to carry out a jog for a while. Till I reached Old Airport Road and I crashed again. It was so bad that I nearly walked all the way to the 120km mark, which is the junction pass Victoria School going towards Bedok. I was really happy when I saw the support vehicle parked there as I was running low on fuel. Immediately took some coke and potato chips from there. We sat there and I did some stretching till my parents came with black herbal chicken soup and rice. I gobbled down everything. That was my very first solid meal since……..24hours ago. I felt full and satisfied. Shortly after I finished my dinner, Hong Yew linked up with us. There he took over the pacing duty of Kok and my girlfriend towards Bedok Reservoir, which is the 135km mark where 
John will take over the crew duty from my parents and Eileen.

120- 157km

This part of the race is what I can consider the worst part of the race. Due to the long rest that I had at 120km and the food that I took, I was able to set out rather comfortably, and despite being tired, being able to set out on a walk-run routine. We ran past East Coast Road, then to Still Road. All that while everything is still going well, but when we finally reached Upper Changi Road, I felt bad again and this time round I walked from Bedok MRT to Expo. I was feeling really sleepy and frustrated and though I should just walk till I feel better then I start running again. During the walk I ranted a lot to Hong Yew. It made me feel slightly better. I think there is really a huge difference running alone and with someone by your side.  Looking back I feel quite bad but I just cant help it at that point of time. I guess there is always this part of ultra where you will need to communicate with someone, just to keep your sanity. For me it is always to talk to my friends or Eileen. During the Craze Ultra, because I was racing alone, after the race I experienced a few days of mental trauma from the race due to the torture that the mind had to go through during the race.

 At Simei, Hazel joined the run. I felt really bad that I had due to being crew support for the race, the couple lost substantial amount of sleep. When Hazel linked up with us, we had a short rest at a public bus stop. I was so tired that I just lay down on the floor and fell asleep immediately. I didn’t even know till Hong Yew woke me up and he told me that I had already slept for 15 minutes! But after that sleep I felt slightly better and I could carry on a consistent run/walk routine all the way to Bedok Reservoir.

I was REALLY surprised to see the Avengers waiting for me at Bedok Reservoir. It was a confidence booster and that brighten up my spirits, which was really at a low for quite awhile since the 110km mark. I was also really happy to see John. At that point of time I guess I was too tired to show any emotion but I was feeling very grateful for everyone who had supported me or visited me so far. John was a huge fitness fanatic. Unlike me he is all fitness, down to the nutrition level. I guess he would have scrutinized my meal plan. He fed me with bulletproof coffee brewed with butter and a drink which is a mixture of coconut juice, coconut, flaxseed and other superfoods in it. I guess I know at that point of time my nutrition plan is indeed screwed up and thus, I just had to give it a try. A brief rest and chat with the Avengers and John, I continued my run with HY and Hazel to 140km where we will linked up with JK and John again. Along the way, we passed by long stretches of road with nothing in sight. It is also already night time - around 11pm and the sleepiness is setting in again…..
We linked up with JK and John at 140km along Tampines Avenue 9. There I got a massage from Hong Yew and I ate some fried noodles that JK had bought. It tasted so damn good. Was so tempted to finish it all but I still had to run…Hong Yew and Hazel stopped pacing me there and JK took over. We ran all the way to 145km mark which is just nxt to Eileen’s house. There I took a 1hr nap. I fell asleep immediately at the void deck when my head hit the hydration bag (my pillow). I was woken up by JK and Eileen when my napping time is overL I was really groggy and had to limp up to Eileen’s House where I took a bath. It was really cold and I was shivering even when I was showering in warm water. The feeling is similar to showering when having a fever.  The shower woke me up a little and I continued running after that. I could move at a pace for a while till Changi V and after that I crashed again. This time it was a 7km low period. I walked all the way. I was sleepy, my legs were heavy and refused to move. Once again, I told myself to be patient, just relax and walk. Nonetheless I was really tired and I did not realize that I was showing a very black face. Eileen accompanied me throughout this journey and she is optimistic, despite me showing the very tired face she constantly cheered me on and encouraging me. I was really grateful that she did that. To John and JK also thanks for putting up with those face of mine and the short replies of umms and ahhs  during that period.


157-200km

After that period, I suddenly checked my time. It was 820am and I still had 43km to go. I freaked out and instantly became awake. Suddenly, the idea of not finish became very real. Despite the reassurance by my crew, I decided to just push all the way. It is do or die to me. For me, it is untruthful of me if I said that I never thought of giving up. That thought DID come to my mind. But I know, I will NEVER take that path. The thought of the feeling of regret should I give up came to my mind, the thought of the disappointment of my Crew members came to my mind the thought of my pride came to my mind and it is as soon as the thought of giving up came to my mind, it went away. Instead, I was thinking of the medal waiting for me at the finish. The thought of my future ultramarathon plans. All these came to my mind. I was, at the 157km mark super determined to make up for lost time and make a strong finish in this race.

I carried on at a very good pace. A pace which is so much faster than the one which I had been traveling at for the past 14hours. After a short stop for a breakfast of Economical bee hoon, I sprang off. At Punggol waterway, I was joined by Almo and Bert (once again). We ran all the way at a rather fast pace, stopping only for short periods of time to get in a massage or get in some food. No time was wasted. Once I had gotten enough of what I need we continued moving. I felt more awake and my legs were suddenly energized. We ran past Serangoon, Sengkang, Yio Chu Kang, Serangoon, Ang Mo Kio, where we were joined by Anders. We continued till Khatib MRT Station where Almo left and shortly after at Chomp Pang Camp, Kok and Eileen joined us. By that time I had covered 30km in 5 hours – a sharp contrast to Saturday when I took 10 hours to just cover 40km. The finish was really strong I literally ran the last 5km without stopping at all to walk. It was really hot but Albert, being such a good pacer and after running side by side with me for 50km, constantly fed me with water from my water hydration bag that he carried for me to ensure that I can continue at this strong pace. I felt awake, refreshed and strong. I crossed the line with a time of 43h40min and felt a rush of relief. The relief that it was finally over.


Lessons Learnt

I felt that I could have done better, possibly a sub 40hrs finish if I was able to handle my mid race a little better. I think the poor performance of the mid race was due to:

-Nutrition

I guess my nutrition of bread and isotonic is totally flawed. As I had mentioned earlier, bread causes bloating and actually made me rather uncomfortable, giving me a false sense that I am full but actually I am still lacking in calories. Thus this might have caused me to crash numerous times. What I had found out is that soup with rice works really well for me as I had taken that for the entire last 1/5 of the race, where I performed rather well. In addition I did not try out what foods work for me during training and thus this had caused me to suffer costly. What works for 100km MAY not work for 200km.

-Lack of Sleep

200km, unlike 100km is a very long race. Unless you are running competitively, it is always better to factor in some form of rest.  In addition, I realized that I had not scheduled night training runs and that might have caused me to not be used to running at night.

-Mental

Probably not enough visualization done. Or rather I did not know what to expect. What could be done the next time would be to go through the hardest part of the race (middle) constantly to know what to expect. In addition, long runs could be longer to give a mental edge in running races longer than 100km.

-Training

Include in more long runs probably up to 5-6hrs long and at a much slower pace to acclimatize time on feet even more. However I feel that the implementation of Crossfit had benefited me greatly as it kept my ITBS at bay.


SO..THIS IS MY MONSTER ULTRA 200 REPORT! TILL NEXT YEAR!:)


No comments:

Post a Comment